Excessive unwanted hair can be embarrassing for anyone. Laser treatment for unwanted hair is a non-invasive approach to permanent reduction and long-term hair removal. Treatment is specifically designed to eliminate undesired hair from all parts of the body. Unlike many other treatment methods, Laser Hair Removal leaves your skin looking and feeling smoother and softer!
Laser hair removal is a non-invasive method of photoepilation, which does not require needles or chemical creams. Due to the fact that a laser targets melanin, the more melanin an individual has in his/her hair, the more effective a laser will be. Therefore, someone with gray, red, or blonde hair is not as good a candidate for laser hair removal as one with darker hair. The laser works by disabling hair follicles that are actively producing hair at the time of treatment. Since other hairs will enter the growth phase at different times, additional treatments will be necessary to disable all hair follicles in the area being treated.
Dr. Darvish and the staff at Skinpeccable will customize and individualize each of your laser treatments accordingly for your specific skin type, pigmentation, and hair growth.
For a free consultation on how to reduce and treat your unwanted hair or any other cosmetic issue you may be having, please click here or call us at 310.979.SKIN (7546). At your free cosmetic consultation, Dr. Darvish will address your concerns and suggest the most appropriate procedure. Dr. Darvish personally oversees all treatments and can be contacted via email or telephone for any pre or post procedure questions you may have.
Before & After Photos[galleria]
What is treatment like?
Preliminary setup requires cleansing and shaving of the area to be treated. The laser produces a beam of highly concentrated light. Without damaging the surrounding tissue, controlled pulses of light penetrate the skin and are absorbed by the hair follicles. The heat discourages and ultimately destroys the potential for re-growth. Post-treatment procedures include cleansing of the treated area and application of sunblock. Large areas such as backs, shoulders, abdomens, and legs can be treated rapidly. Facial areas such as the lip, chin, and beard can be treated in minutes.
What are the benefits?
- The FDA approved this technology for permanent hair reduction.
- You experience no down time. Resume regular activities immediately.
- Less pain and discomfort compared to other treatment methods.
- Large areas can be treated quickly.
- Chance of scarring and pigmentation changes are minimized.
How many treatments are required?
Because the laser affects hair follicles only when they are in the growth phase, more than one treatment may be necessary to disable hair follicles that subsequently enter the growth phase. During your consultation, you will be advised as to the approximate number of treatments you will need.
Who are candidates for treatment?
Millions of men and women have been successfully treated. Treatments are customized according to hair color, texture and location on the body. Most hair colors can be treated with a high level of patient satisfaction. Treatment is effective on all skin types, including dark skinned individuals of all ethnic origins.
Is treatment painful?
This procedure is tolerated well by most patients, as the laser functions so quickly that only a mild sting is felt. Local anesthesia or pain medication is not required, but topical anesthetic is an option for more sensitive areas.
Are there any possible side effects?
Side effects are rare. Sensitivity, irritation, or redness sometimes occurs at the treatment site, but disappears quickly or within a few days. You will be notified during your consultation if you are susceptible to these side effects. You must limit your sun exposure immediately prior to and after treatment. This will greatly minimize the risk of side effects.
Preparing for your Treatment
Prior to treatment:
- Avoid Retin-A, Affirm, Differin, Tazorac, Benzoyl Peroxide, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy, Salicylic Acid, Astringents, Toners, Renova, and Prevage on treated area(s) for a minimum of 7 days after treatment and seven days before next treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure, sun tanning, tanning beds and tanning creams in the area to be treated for at least 3 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Avoid waxing, plucking or depilatories (i.e., Nair) for at least 5 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Men: Shave beard hair in area to be treated.
- Wear sunscreen (SPF 30 or greater) recommended by your Skinpeccable provider.
- Shave the treatment area the night before or the morning of your treatment.
On the day of treatment:
- Remove make-up, deodorants, and lotions.
- If getting treated on the face and you have a history of cold sores, take cold sore medicine (eg. Valtrex) as directed by the physician.
- Half an hour before your visit, apply numbing cream as directed by the Skinpeccable staff.
Let us know if:
- You have been in the sun, have visited a tanning bed, or are using tanning creams.
- You have started oral antibiotics (Minocycline, Tetracycline, etc.) or Accutane.
- You have started Retin-A, Affirm, Differin, Tazorac, or Renova on the areas to be treated.
- You are pregnant or are unsure if you are pregnant.
- You have an active cold sore. An active cold sore is a contraindication to laser treatments on the face.